Barry, My Liege :
Monsanto is a Corporate Real American Terrorist [C-RAT] because of its long standing policy of making profits from products which cause cancer in animals and humans. Their history includes dioxin, Round Up and now GMO's, products which interefere with the genetic structure of our food.
It does so to collect profits for its shareholders at the expense of our health.
Monsanto's business model appears to be to maximize profits from cancer causing products while allowing the greater society to pay for the medical costs of its products.
As just one example of the harm done to animals consuming its genetically modified products, the Daily Mail reported on a French study of rats consuming GMO modified corn : "The animals on the GM diet suffered mammary tumors, as well as severe liver and kidney damage. The researchers said 50 percent of males and 70 percent of females died prematurely, compared with only 30 percent and 20 percent in the control group." [http://www.naturalnews.com/037249_GMO_study_cancer_tumors_organ_damage.html]
My Liege, I do not recommend that you or your family eat any products made from corn grown in the United States. That recommendation is based on the practice that the United States of America does not have any labelling laws which require that food products with GMO's be labelled as such. Most other industrialized countries do have such laws. But, we cannot know what is in our food.
Additionally, Monsanto routinely places false information in the media about its products and practices as well as supressing any press reports about scientific work which demonstrates harm from its products.
A further business practice of the company is to patent genetically modified seeds made by farmers on other countries and then charge those farmers a fee to use the seeds. There are reports of strong arm tactics as well.
Even though the company's practices are obviously unethical, they are legal under our justice system.
Perhaps Monsanto's Board is simply maximizing profits while waiting for the legal system to catch up to our morals.
Here are links with futher discussion of the company :
In the meantime, My Liege, we should publically villify the company and its business practices. Additionally, any person who has a family member suffering from cancer should write a detailed hand written letter explaining the effects of that cancer on the body and family of the disease.
You can write the individual Board member listed below at the Monsanto address below or at their other affiliation :
1. David L. Chicoine, Ph.D. is president of South Dakota State University and professor of economics.
2. Janice L. Fields is president of McDonald’s USA, LLC, a subsidiary of McDonald’s Corporation.
3. Hugh Grant is the chairman and chief executive officer of Monsanto Company.
4. Arthur H. Harper is managing partner of GenNx360 Capital Partners.
5. Laura Ipsen is corporate vice president of Microsoft Corp.'s Worldwide Public Sector organization.
6. Gwendolyn S. King is president of Podium Prose, a speakers bureau.
7. C. Steven McMillan is a retired chairman of the board and CEO of Sara Lee Corporation.
8. Jon R Moeller is chief financial officer of The Procter & Gamble Company.
9. William U. Parfet is chairman of the board and chief executive officer of MPI Research Inc.
10. George H. Poste, Ph. D., D.V.M. is chief executive of Health Technology Networks.
11. Robert J. Stevens is chairman of the board and chief executive officer of Lockheed Martin Corporation.
Here's how to contact them :
800 N. Lindbergh Blvd.
St. Louis, MO 63167
(314) 694-NEWS (6397)
Your faithful servant,