Barry, My Liege :
It may be comforting to think that our species Doomsday Event is more than 100 years in the future. If that's true, then we can just enjoy our time until then, right?
Rest assured, My Liege, that is not the case.
We will experience a constantly rising level of tragedy and violence until then.
Experts disagree on whether the Doomsday Event will be total or will leave a residue of 500 million people alive.
Consider that there are about 7 billion people alive today.
That means at least 6.5 billion people will die by the Event.
We will die from many causes.
Starvation and disease will take a toll as will violent conflicts.
All these exist today but will increase in severity over time.
Here are the active armed conflicts which took more than 1,000 lives in 2013 :
1. Israeli–Palestinian conflict, 1203 deaths so far in 2014
2. Afghanistan, 138 deaths so far in 2014
3. Somalia, 854 deaths this year
4. Nigeria, 5026 deaths this year
5. Pakistan, 2316 dead this year
6. Drug War, Mexico - 66 dead so far this year
7. Egypt, 79 dead so far this year
8. Syria, 28680 dead so far this year
9. Iraq, 7422 dead this year
10. Central African Republic, 1211 dead so far
11. South Sudan, 415 dead so far
12. Ukraine, 356 dead so far not including Malaysian Airline Flight 17
The list of additional conflicts which did not meet the 1,00 death threshold in 2013 is even longer, my Liege. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ongoing_armed_conflicts
It is likely that armed conflicts arise from groups of people who perceive that they are marginalized in their quest for food, water and shelter.
It is likely also that the number of people so marginalized will increase as the planetary boundaries are crossed more severely.
Your faithful servant,